Wednesday, June 15, 2011
Eileen is Grateful
It is time to list five things I am thankful for at Judy's blog on this sunny Wednesday morning in Maryland. Once again, remembering the little way God has blessed us in our daily routines of taking care of our families. It is an activity that never grows old and bursts into the realm of our heavenly Father as he hears us praise him for the loving graces he sends our way. "It is God who, in his good will toward you, begets in you any measure of desire or achievement." (Phil. 2:13)
1) I am thankful for my son who helped entertain my four year old at the pool the other day. It gave me the time to do some extra things around the house. He really is quite awesome as my four year old will often try to 'pull my strings' by not listening well when I say 'no' or 'wait.' My older son corrects him for this and my four year old is starting to listen to him. Although he may do it in the form of a brotherly relationship at times, often he does as one of authority who should be listened to. It is wonderful to see how my older sons love and care about their younger brother to do the Godly thing. It can be a challenge for a four year old to learn the proper virtues to keep them content when they can't have what they want or have to wait. I call this the 'Trickle Down Effect' when older children pass on their wisdom to the younger ones. I am grateful that God gives families unity in this area.
2) I am grateful that my high school daughter was able to help my four year old with his letter tiles to make a sentence about the Ascension of Jesus while I jumped in the shower. Many days I do not get to rid myself of 'body clutter' by taking a shower. I will just throw sweats on and put my hair up because I have to do some cleaning. My daughter helped me out yesterday by helping teach my four year old. Yet, another sign of her love for family unity and love of her little brother. Moments when my children help out like this are so important to me.
3) I am thankful for my 'cuddle bug' who fell asleep on my lap last night while I was reading a book. Children grow up so fast and my four year old is the last child I will get to cuddle with in my life. He is pure joy for our family and tries hard to be good. It is amazing how little ones can bring a sense of happiness into the atmosphere of our homes!
4) I am so grateful that my dear husband is willing to be on the board of our homeschool co-op next year with me. I was shocked when he said, "yes." This is the year before my four year old goes into Tiger Cubs and this is the year he will have the time. We're loosing some of our hard working moms from the co-op and need others to step up and fill in when they are gone next year.
5) I am grateful for our wonderful community swimming pool with so many nice families. My husband coordinates the volunteer jobs for parents whose kids are on the swim team. It is a wonderful way to meet families in our community. The kids make wonderful friendships with eachother. In fact, my daughter was influenced by her swim team friend to join the youth group at our Church this summer. This Friday is the spaghettie dinner for the swim team. It will be so nice to see some of these families again.