Friday, July 22, 2011
It's time for The Homeschool Mother's Journal where we can share what has happened in our week together and discuss progress made for our homeschooling efforts. Just click on this name to join in.
In my life this week.....I'm glad to say the Swim Team is finally over. My husband and I attended the last meet together to see our daughters compete. I was also able to bring my high school daughter to the eye doctor to receive an updated perscription and order a years supply of contact lenses for her. My college sons have been able to visit friends on their days off and seem to keep pretty busy. It is a joy to have them home. I cook, wash dishes, and do laundry more but it is all worth while. Their little brother loves to be with them often. I was also able to get my daughter some more shirts and a skirt for her school uniform. She goes to Catholic high school and was homeschooled through ninth grade.
In our homeschool week.....I finally received my planner this week and will be able to start putting some order into our schedule. We will continue to do Math and English first thing in the morning four days a week. Our Co-op will be on Tuesdays this year. This means that History, Science, and Writing homework will be done on Wednesdays and/or Thursdays only. I still have to schedule ballet class and Religious Education for Confirmation into the schedule. I'll be working on this for the rest of the summer because I have to design a curriculum for the History class I'm teaching at our Co-op.
My daughter was busy with Math corrections this past week and my five year old completed some journal entries and we read lots of library books.
Places we're going/people we're seeing.....This weekend is the Swim Team Banquet which is always aloth of fun. We will be going over to our good friends house afterwards for a fun gathering. I will also have my good friend (my son's girlfriend's mother) visit me with her exchange students from Korea the following day. We will have danish and coffee in the morning at my house. It will be nice to see my son's girlfriend and her family. They are so sweet.
Next week will be very busy as we go to a cake decorating class at Joann's with some good friends, bring my dog to the vet to receive her shots, have a meeting with the Religious Education director, have our Co-op Pool Party, and go to my son's godmothers bridal shower.
My favorite thing this week was.....reading books to my five year old.
What's working/not working for us.....I need to find a computer technician to help keep my computers serving me effectively (just kidding). I have some things that need to be downloaded to pdf files and for some reason it is slow getting fixed.
Questions/thoughts I have,,,,,Do you bring homeschooling on vacation with you?
Things I'm working on.....A timeline for the History class I'm teaching.
I'm reading.....Embracing the Kingdom - A Bible Study on Conversion by Rich Cleveland
I'm cooking.....My daughters made Creamy Pesto Chicken Pasta for dinner tonight.
I'm praying for.....My daughters to have good luck with the four children they are babysitting for tonight.
A photo, video, link, or quote to share....."Little by little, the cotton thread becomes a cloth."
Wednesday, July 20, 2011
It's time to praise God for our blessings and wisdom sent our way during the week by posting to Judy's blog. This meme never grows old and is always such a joy to hear how others have been blessed during their week. Just click on the name to participate. Here is my list I am thankful for this past week:
1) I am grateful that I made an appointment with the vet early to have our dog receive the necessary shots before we put her in the kennel when we go on vacation. The kennel thinks Abby needs a distemper shot but the vet said they do this every three years now. Therefore, I'll be able to clear this up before we go away.
2) I am so thankful for the wonderful time we had at the swim team bonfire and dive-in-movie at our pool. It was wonderful to gather with other families, make smores with my five year old, and watch a movie on the side of the pool while all the kids played on rafts in the water.
3) I am grateful that the Lord directed me to call a local parish to see if my daughter can continue to attend Religious Education classes there sporatically to receive her Confirmation next year. I have a meeting with the Religious Ed. director next week and am looking forward to working something out because we really like the books this parish uses.
4) I am thankful that I was able to see my doctor and get my prescription re-filled before we go away in August. It is so good to be able to accomplish some of these necessary things in advance. I can not function well when everything gets done at the last minute.
5) I am grateful for the little Catholic Bible Study by Emmaus Journey I am using. It is helping me to think deeper about God's Word and to direct more of my time toward praising and understanding the Lord's will in my life.
Monday, July 18, 2011
This is a wonderful meme at A Simple Woman's Daybook where we can share the simple things in life with eachother. Just click on this name to participate.
Outside my window...It is a warm day with blue skies here in Maryland today.
I am thinking...that I hope my daughters and I can find some decent clothes for the beach today when we do a little shopping. For once, we do not have swim team practice this morning and we can spend some girl time with eachother.
I am thankful for...the wonderful families on the swim team who we spend some very fun summer times with. Last night we had a gathering with food and drinks before the bonfire and dive in movie. It was so much fun for everyone there.
From the learning rooms...my 7th grade daughter continues to do a math lesson at least four times a week. We have plenty of library books for my five year old and he does well with his journaling and reader. My highschooler is reading three novels for her summer reading program.
From the Kitchen...We are having cheese burgers and corn-on-the-cob tonight.
I am wearing...blue jean shorts with a white and peach striped shirt and flip flops.
I am creating...trying to find space for all our books - yikes! There is no room.
I am going...shopping with my daughters and to the doctor this week.
I am reading...Girl of Kosovo by Alice Mead
I am hoping...that my children always say their rosary. We came together this past Sunday to say it together. What a beautiful prayer.
I am hearing...the dumb t.v. on and my children talking.
Around the house....there are too many books, papers, and junk mail.
A few plans for the rest of the week...go to the swim team banquet.
A picture or thought to leave you with..."To move freely you must be deeply rooted." Bella Lewitzky
Saturday, July 16, 2011
I am sorry that I have been unable to participate in this great meme for the past few weeks. I am going through a difficult time with all the driving responsibilities for swim team and driving my sons to work. The house needs major organization and I can't think of anything to write about. We have no room for more books and my PTSD has flaired up a bit. Anyway, I am going to try to force myself to express my gratitude in this difficult time I'm experiencing presently because I know how important it is to be thankful to God for all of our blessings. To participate in this great meme just click on this name...Judy's blog. I'm sorry I'm late posting but now is the only time I was able to do this.
1) I'm grateful that I was able to make lasagna for my family the other day with less cheese. Apparently, I have put in too much cheese in the past and I finally figured out how to cut down on this.
2) I am grateful for a husband with lots of energy to keep up with the swim team schedule. He loves the activity and bonding through it with my daughters. If it wasn't for him, I would be unable to keep up with it.
3) I'm thankful that we have a good dog for my five year old. He is seven years behind my next youngest and is the only one without a close sibling in age. Therefore, I think he will always need a good pet to take care of. It is so nice to see him interact with our dog, Abby.
4) I am grateful that my husband and I were able to attend the Adult Pool Party the other night. For once, I was able to dress up and be with other adults. It was a nice change. I don't get to 'feel pretty' to often.
5) I am thankful that some summer reading material that came in the mail for my daughters to read when we go to the beach. I am so hopeful for our trip when swim team is over. It can be very stressful for me at this time of year. Keep me in your prayers.
It's time for the Homeschool Mother's Journal. Please click on this title to participate.
In My Life this Week.....We were able to attend the Adult Pool Party and leave the kids at home. It was a great time even though the disc jockey needed to be coached on what a good song was to play. I attended part of the B Swim Meet to see my daughters compete. We also attended the Cookie Meet where younger children swim across the pool with assistance. My oldest daughter is a CIT (Coach in Training) and I filmed her assisting and motivating the little ones across the pool. My other daughter was a timer. Afterwards, we had some yummy ice cream at the Ice Cream Social. As you can see, Swim Team takes up much of our time.
In Our Homeschool Week.....My daughters are reading their new summer books that came in the mail. My younger daughter has been doing her daily lessons in Math. My five year old has been reading books with me and doing some journal entries.
Places We're Going and People We're Seeing.....The girls get so tired after practice every morning and swim meets twice a week and all the swim team activities. (So do I) So next week when there is no swim practice on Monday, it will be a girls day out. We will be shopping for items for our beach trip in August.
Questions/Thoughts I have.....Does anyone know anything about the Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading?
A Quote to Share....."Never get so fascinated by the extraordinary that you forget the ordinary." Magdalen Nabb
Friday, July 8, 2011
It is time for The Homeschool Mother's Journal Summer Edition. If you would like to participate in this great meme just click on the name.
In my life this week... we had a great 4th of July celebration with the family of my son's girlfriend. Her mom works at a local elementary school and this was a great spot to view the fireworks in the city without getting caught in the big crowds. We had a very nice dinner beforehand and her family is beautiful. It was nice to sit on the lawn while the kids played and I talked to her sweet mom.
In our summer homeschool week... we've been continuing with our Math. It was hard to get to much else this week because the swim team has kept us very busy.
Places we're going and people we're seeing...This weekend we'll be attending the adult pool party at our local pool. I was also able to attend the swim meet on Wednesday evening with my five year old to watch my girls compete.
What's working/not working for us...The swim team is definitely an asset to my kids summer but it has really been quite hard these past two weeks to do any homeschooling. All my five year old wants to do is play with his older brothers who are home from college. I'm going to have a challenge on my hands when we have to get serious about hitting the books again.
I'm reading...God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew
Things I'm working on...making sure the kids have some material to read while we are at the beach in August. I also just ordered a planner for next year which I will be using frequently.
A photo, video, link, or quote to share...If only I'd known that one day my differentness would be an asset, then my early life would have been much easier.
Friday, July 1, 2011
Here are some important things to think about come election time. Conservatives have to get tougher if we want to keep our country on the right track. Do not let your guards down for the foolishness of the left any longer because they will walk all over us at any chance they get. http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/07/the_need_for_a_militant_conservative_movement.html