Expressions from our Youngest

Expressions from our Youngest
Love it!

Friday, August 17, 2012

Finding Joy in Depression

The Pelsers

Today I'm going to try to link up with Amanda Pelser's blog about Depression at http://thepelsers.com/2011/10/30/share-depression-story/.  I am interested in this subject because I've been diagnosed with PTSD from a traumatic event and have been hospitalized in the past around the time of some of my pregnancies.  I've been seeing a psychiatrist since 1986 and on meds since that time.  This has greatly helped our marriage and family because the symptoms I've experienced in the past often made life more difficult. 

I do pretty well avoiding/managing stimuli that reminds me of the trauma but every so often I have to go up on my meds to ensure that symptoms don't spiral out of control like they have in the past.  I don't know why I've been given this cross to bare, but the Lord has been our guide and comfort in times of suffering.  So far, turning to the Lord is the best way to experience real joy if I encounter difficulty with my illness. 

My psychiatrist tremendously helps me relieve my anxiety, but it has been the Lord who permits me to nail my suffering to the Holy Cross.  I've come a very long way and believe we've emerged safely from the worst effects encountered from my illness.  It is important that I continue receiving care to help manage my illness as it can be a very lonely road at times.  My doctor listens and understands my symptoms when no one else can at the same level.

It is important that I do not really reveal much of my symptoms in participating in Amanda's blog.  I would like to join this opportunity to share with others who have had mental illness and need to find ways to cope with it.  I am currently trying to cope with my illness by starting a walking club.  I would like to phase walking into my schedule permanently this year but am having difficulty finding committed partners.  My son and I, of course, can take walks in our neighborhood too.  I am trying to find about 45 minutes of adult time with someone at a brisk moderate pace to walk though.

What are some of the ways others have coped with illness?  Amanda's book was very heart warming.  I would highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment